Availability of Physiotherapy Service in Sri Lanka
Presently Physiotherapy service is widely established in all the State Hospitals (National, General, District General and Base) as well as in almost all the Private Hospitals, Hospitals belong to Forces (Army, Navy and Air Force) and also in Police Hospital. There are individual Private clinics also run by Experienced Physiotherapists in many regions of Sri Lanka.
Special fields and Interest Groups in Physiotherapy:
- Musculo-Skeletal physiotherapy
- Neuro- Medical, Neuro-Surgical, Neuro-Trauma and Neuro ICU.
- Acute- Medical, Medical ICU.
- Accident-Emergency, disability due to Burns and ICU
- Orthopaedic and High Dependency Unit and Rehabilitation.
- Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, Cardiac Intensive Care.
- Cardiology, Coronary Care and Cardiac Rehabilitation.
- Acute Respiratory, ICU and Pulmonary Rehabilitation, Chest Clinic.
- Pulmonary Function, including TLCO, Lung Transfer Factor Studies.
- Women’s Health (Pelvic Health) – Ante-natal and post-natal care.
- Community Based Rehabilitation.
- Physiotherapy in Sports (Cricket, Soccer, Athletics, Swimming, etc)
- Advice on Haemophilia conditions.
- Paediatric Physiotherapy for variety of conditions including birth impairments and disability, child-hood asthma and rehabilitation.
Common Conditions treated by Physiotherapy:
- All types of Arthritic conditions from head to toe, rehabilitation.
- Most of the Thoracic & Lung conditions (COPD) & intensive Care.
- Rehabilitation following Orthopaedic Surgery and trauma.
- Rehabilitation following Re-perfusion surgery- Stenting / CABG./ Mid CAB
- Variety of critical Medical conditions needed intensive therapy.
- Variety of Surgical conditions and Trauma needs Physiotherapy.
- Paediatric Physiotherapy for a variety of reasons e.g. following Trauma, Chest conditions and advice with postural correction.
- Sports injuries, quality advice to enhance strength and endurance.
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation for a variety of chronic conditions.
- Advice on ease child birth, postures, use of TENS for pain.
- Pulmonary Function Tests, Mucolytic Nebulisation & IPPB.
- Exercises to keep active and healthy.